Friday, January 14, 2011

 10/14/11- Third window, Primed top and bottom sashes, while that was drying, primed the inside of the window runners and exterior sill, installed new ropes and weights, painted 2 finish coats on inside of window runners, put top and bottom sash back in place and put other related window trim back together. Caulked all gaps. While the caulking was setting up I organized all my tools and stuff and started to put the room back together. Then went back and put final finish coat on the entire window. Done. Finished baseboard. Done. Cleaned all glass in windows. These windows are just like new again.
    So all the old wallpaper was removed, all doors 3, jambs 3, windows 3, and all baseboard was restored back to it's original condition and walls were made nice for new wallpaper. Ceiling will be replaced soon so I'll be back to paint that and the crown molding.

    This house is the property of the Mansfield Historical Society. It's a museum of Mansfield's past. It was built in 1909 by Mansfield author Jennie Copeland. Except for this bedroom that has been restored the rest of the house is as it was in 1909. This house was very well built. It's in very good shape.
    With that being said, my job is done here for now. Have a great day.

Monday, January 10, 2011

01/10/11- Cleaned glass and installed top sashes in 2 windows. Took out old broken ropes and weights. Primed interior sashes that were just installed, let dry and applied first finish coat. 
     Installed bottom sashes in same windows and primed 2 coats. Installed new ropes and weights on the same windows. Put all other window trim together and now the windows move up and down just like new. Not bad for windows that were originally installed in 1909. Very nice. Stay tuned........ 

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Another day on the job................

01/06/11 - Took apart 3rd window in this room that hasn't been touched since it was built in 1909. Removed top and bottom sashes. Scraped and sanded all loose paint inside the sash runners and the inside and outside of the sill. Then power sanded the sashes to bare wood. Had another cracked window, so that will need new glass. Scraped out all old brittle glazing, cleaned it up and applied new glazing. Very nice. 
   Then caulked all gaps in the window trim. They did't use much caulking back in 1909 I'm guessing. While that was setting up, I vacuumed the room of all the dust and debris from all the sanding and scraping, and then primed the rest of the baseboard. After that, primed 2 coats on the window trim. Stay tuned..........

Monday, January 3, 2011


So the job I'm on as you know is for the Mansfield Historical Society. I started this job a couple of weeks ago and I'm about 70% finished. I have two of the windows taken apart to reglaze the  exterior sashes,which I already did. The bottom sashes are in the shop being reglazed and new glass installed. I already  sanded and primed the trim on the windows so today I put the first finish coat on. When you do a good prep job the finish work is so easy. Stay tuned.....

Sunday, January 2, 2011

current job

I'm working to restore a bedroom to it's original condition in a home that was built in 1909. The house is the property of the Mansfield Historical Society. It's a museum of Mansfield, Mass. past. Very interesting stuff here. I'm restoring the room from top to bottom. I'm being very meticulous so I preserve the historical integrity of the home. This room hasn't been touched, work wise, since 1909. So there  is a lot of restoration work. Any questions feel free to ask.

painting at it's best

So here we are. Let's talk about painting. I'm an interior painter / stainer. I've been in the business for 26 years. I can answer just about anything related to house painting, so ask away!