Tuesday, June 8, 2021

R.I.P. Regal Classic Semi-Gloss (333)


For reasons that still boggle the mind, Benjamin Moore has decided to discontinue the best formulated semi-gloss ever made by any paint company anywhere.

I have been using the "Regal Classic" semi-gloss (333), which used to be called "Aqua Glo", for about 40 years. Every time I used it I marveled at how good it covered. It went on by brush like butter. Flowed and leveled out beautifully. And my doors, windows, and trim really did "Glo". Over the years I received many compliments on my finished paint jobs because of this paint.

Benjamin Moore has replaced it with "Regal Select" semi-gloss paint and primer. This paint has none of the characteristics that the "Regal Classic" had. 

This new and "improved" semi-gloss is a thinned-down, quick-drying, just awful replacement for the Regal Classic. And it costs more too. If you can't brush fast, you will have nothing but problems applying it, especially on a warm day. It dries so fast it leaves brush marks. This stuff doesn't have a chance to level out because it starts to set up almost immediately. 

What I used to get done in 2 coats with the Regal Classic is now 3 or 4 coats with the "new and improved" Regal Select and it still doesn't look as good. 

I never, ever, had brush marks using the Regal Classic because of its leveling out characteristic and more open time. The Regal Select does not have these attributes which makes it a poor replacement.

If your spraying, this Regal Select product would work because it dries so fast. But Jcb Painting does mostly re-paints in occupied homes so spraying is usually not an option.

This reminds me of when Coca-Cola changed its formula in 1985. That went over well.:>)

And as for the do-it-yourselfers, good luck trying to do good work with this semi-gloss paint.

Bring back the Regal Classic Benjamin Moore!


Stay Away. Too much money for an inferior product.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment